Tuesday 22 March 2011

Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc 2009


Appearance: Pale yellow.
Aroma: Highly aromatic. Pungent tropical fruits.
Flavour: Intense from the very start; sour fruit front palate with squeaky-clean, steely mineral and lime characters and a lingering pineapple finish. Delicious!
Gooseberry, apple, herbaceous, yellow pepper and pineapple.

Is this the holy grail of New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs?
For those like me who love (and are willing to pay for) the best Marlborough has to offer, this is a must buy. I reckon it is a serious competitor for Cloudy Bay and others if not the best of the lot.
Whilst I would argue that this wine is fantastic value for money, I agree that it is expensive. However, I find that are so many beautiful subtleties to discover that I can happily sit and contemplate a quarter of a glass for ages without drinking much at all. I would share it between 4, served an aperitif or on its own to appreciate it fully. If it has to go with food, at least don't go glugging it down with a curry...
 
Wine Name: Stoneleigh Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
Producer: Stoneleigh
Grape/Blend: Sauvignon Blanc
Vintage: 2009
Alcohol: 13%
Country: New Zealand (Marlborough)
Bought at: Waitrose
Price: £10.99
Value for money: Good
Over all rating: Outstanding

No comments: